Saturday, October 26, 2013

An Unabashed Copy Cat

Imitation is supposedly the highest form of flattery. One thing I find fun to do is to try to emulate the style of an artist whose work I admire. I have been fascinated for quite some time by the work of New York artist Jessica Jenny. Her photos have a warmth and texture that make them look more like paintings, while still retaining the qualities of a photograph. I know basically what she's doing, but I can't quite figure out exactly how she's doing it. Trying to replicate her "look" is both fun and challenging, although sometimes a little frustrating. The photo below is probably the closest I've come to a satisfactory result. (The "Straight out of the camera" version is at the bottom.) It was fun trying, and I'm encouraged enough with this one to keep experimenting.

Fawn Lake Shoreline, DuPont State Forest, NC  -  2013
(Click on image to enlarge.)

Fawn Lake Shoreline "Straight out of the camera"

1 comment:

  1. Really pretty and I like what you did. It does look painterly.

    ReplyDelete