Tuesday, May 21, 2013

When I saw that wig . . .

Mom Makes Me Laugh, Clyde, NC  -  2013
(Click on photo to enlarge.)

Saturday, a friend posted a picture of her daughter who was in a play called "Seussical The Musical" this past weekend in Clyde. As soon as I saw that outrageous wig I knew I wanted to photograph her in costume. So I made arrangements to meet them before the final performance Sunday afternoon for some photos.

My "studio" was the parking lot behind the building the group uses as a theater. My background was a drab, brown wall, but I knew I could fix that later. Under her mother's direction, we got my young actress to strike some poses replicating some dance moves from the play. At some point her mother said something to her that made her bust out laughing, and "click", I got what may be my favorite shot of the bunch.

Since the play was based on a combination of Dr. Seuss stories, I decided to experiment with a more cartoonish look on this image. I looked at some Dr. Seuss wallpapers online, and created a background similar to one I thought would work with the colors of her costume to replace the ugly wall background of the original. Then I jacked up the colors a bit, and used Redfield's "Fine Touch" filter to simplify the details. You gotta love that wig!

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love this John.
    I like the candid feel and the expression of pure joy.
    Good Stuff.

    ReplyDelete