Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A Relaxing Afternoon

Dead Tree, Transylvania County, NC  -  2013
(Click on photo to enlarge.)

After a filling early afternoon meal of BBQ ribs, and a couple of hours slumming on the couch watching old WW2 movies on TV, I felt a need to get out and get a little exercise. I didn't want to drive too far, or be gone too long, so I decided a walk up to the top of Devil's Courthouse would be a good leg stretcher. My daughter Courtney hadn't been there since she was about four, and she couldn't handle the steep trail back then. I knew she would welcome the challenge.

The trail to the top was steeper than I remembered, but thankfully it's only about half a mile long. The view from the top featured hazy skies, typical for the warmer months around here, and not very good for photos of scenic vistas. I saw a few dead trees here and there in the forest - probably dead hemlocks. The contrast of the sun-bleached trunks with the dark greens of the surrounding forest was striking, and about the only thing of interest that caught my eye from the peak. A little exercise and one fairly decent photo - not a bad afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment