Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Try It, You Might Like It!

Pickin', But Not Grinnin', Waynesville, NC  -  2014
(Click on photo to enlarge.)

As in most any endeavor, in photography you find what kinds of photos you like to make by trying some of everything. Most people start out with people pictures, photos of friends and family. Then, on vacation trips or family outings, they may begin to experiment with landscapes or architectural studies of the places they visit. Photography can be easily combined with almost any activity, and fresh opportunities to experiment can offer themselves with each one.

Music is a big deal here in the mountains where I live. Opportunities to photograph musicians are a regular occurrence, and I've found by taking advantage of those opportunities that this is one type of photography that I really enjoy. As with any activity where your subject is in motion, photographing musicians can result in more misses than hits, but I enjoy that challenge of getting that one really good shot. I made several exposures of this banjo player from the band Cutthroat Shamrock at a block party in Waynesville Saturday evening. This is the only one that I thought was fairly decent. There's a satisfaction that I get when I succeed in getting at least one photo that really pleases me. It's an enjoyment that I never would have known unless I had tried experimenting with something new. What kind of photography have you not tried yet? Get out there and experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment