Thursday, May 22, 2014

I meant for that to happen.

Yellow Tulip, Canton, NC  -  2014
(Click on photo to enlarge.)

My two dogs are the champs at doing something clumsy or awkward, and then looking like they intended to do it that away. It's all in their ability to never show surprise or embarrassment when they mess up. Also, dogs can't lie.

Unlike dogs, humans have to lie, or at least bend the truth a little, to make an accident that turns out well look like an intentional act. I guess we've all done it, but I'll fess up on this one.

Although I really like the way this close-up of my wife's yellow tulip came out, I can't claim it as an intended result. This photo almost looks like a painting. In fact, I think it looks like something Georgia O'Keefe might have done. As I said, I could claim that I intended this outcome, but it was all an accident. It was windy the day I made this photo, and I was trying to time clicking the shutter during lulls in the breeze. I didn't do a very good job. The softness betrays that the flower was still slightly moving when I made the exposure. This is not the result I was attempting to get, but I like how it turned out anyway. It's like the old saying, "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then!"


No comments:

Post a Comment