Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Other Side Of Charleston

Black Skimmers, Sullivan's Island, SC  -  2013
(Click on photo to enlarge.)

On our last trip to Charleston, we spent all of our time in the old part of downtown, exploring the history and buildings of the city. There is a whole 'nuther personality to Charelston, however, beaches! Located on the Atlantic coast, Charleston has several beaches within a short drive of downtown.

We visited some beaches on Sullivan's Island, and the Isle of Palms. The weather was still too cool to go into the water, but we enjoyed some nice walks on the beach. I saw my first dolphins surfacing just off shore in the Breach Inlet. I tried several times to get a picture, but they were just too fast. I never knew where one would surface, and by the time I saw one, it was gone again.

These Black Skimmers were much more cooperative. They stood still and allowed me to get quite close. They allowed me time to get more than just a record shot, but to actually compose this triple band of beach, birds, and water. Thanks, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment