Sunday, April 21, 2013

Early Callas

Pink Calla Lilies, Mt. Pleasant, SC  -  2013
(Click on photo to enlarge.)

Calla lilies are one of my favorite flowers to photograph. Their shape, curves, and folds offer almost endless possible compositional variations, limited only by your imagination. Where I live in the western North Carolina mountains, we don't usually see Calla lilies until early to mid June. At Boone Hall Plantation in Mt. Pleasant, SC, they were blooming in the first week of April!

I rushed this hand-held shot a little bit as I was in the garden waiting for the call for the next tour of the plantation house. As a result, the photo was just a bit soft from either camera shake, or a breeze moving the flowers. At first glance I thought, "Nah, too soft." However, the longer I looked at it, I began to think that the lack of sharpness was not necessarily a defect, but actually gave a painterly quality to the image. So I saved it from the delete key, and present it here for your enjoyment.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you saved it.
    I like the pastel paint quality.
    the pink callas are some of my favorites. I agree about the curve, shape and folds...beautiful.

    ReplyDelete