Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Location, Location, Location!

On Waterrrock Knob, Haywood, County, NC  -  2015
(Click on photo to enlarge.)

I received a few questions about the location of the photo I posted Sunday as my new Facebook profile picture. That photo was a crop from the one above which shows more of the location and background.

This photo of me was made by my daughter Courtney on the peak of Waterrock Knob (Elev. 6293'). It is one of the places she wanted to go while she was home from college for a couple of weeks. The peak is reached by a short (1.2 miles round trip) hike from a parking area on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Mile Post 451. If you look closely near my elbow you can see a tiny portion of the Parkway far below. The first half of the trail is paved, but fairly steep. It even had my daughter's heart pounding, and she's an everyday runner. The second half is not quite as steep, but very rocky all the way to the top. The hike is well worth it as the views of the surrounding Pisgah National Forest from the top are magnificent!

No comments:

Post a Comment