Friday, August 14, 2015

It Took Years To Get This One

Crabtree Falls, Yancey County, NC  -  2015
(Click on photo to enlarge.)

I made my 7th "Move A Daughter To Boone" trip yesterday as Courtney begins her junior year at Appalachian State. Besides the beginning and end of the year moving trips, I've made countless other trips to Boone over the years for various reasons. To break up the monotony I've tried different routes, including traveling part of the way on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was on one of those trips that I first became aware of Crabtree Falls.

I learned that getting to this fall required a hike of a little less than a mile from the BRP. However, because of time restraints, or not wanting to leave a pick-up truck full of my daughter's belongings sitting in the parking lot, I never got to make the hike. I kept saying to myself, "One day!", but one day hadn't happened since my first journey to Boone in 2008.

Finally, on this trip I decided to spend the night, and leave myself enough time to photograph this fall on the way home the next day. So this morning I left my hotel in Blowing Rock at around 5:30 a.m. to get to the Crabtree Falls trail head around sunrise. Why so early? To avoid the tourists, and to get my photos before direct sunlight hits the falls and blows out the highlights. It took years to finally get my photo, but I thoroughly enjoyed my hike and my time at this beautiful NC mountain location.


No comments:

Post a Comment