Monday, July 13, 2015

Don't Mind The Photographer

Pickin', Waynesville, NC  -  2015
(Click on photo to enlarge.)

I'm discovering that some of my most enjoyable work has come from photographing musicians. I generally prefer impromptu, casual portraits, and musicians often provide the ideal subject. Because they are usually so tuned in to their instrument and their music, it's easier to get relaxed and natural expressions. They don't become self conscious or uncomfortable because their mind is focused on their playing, and not on my camera. Also, since I'm seldom the only one pointing a camera at them, they're less aware of me individually. I'm just one of the crowd. Look at the concentration on the face of this man I found playing at a recent street festival - you can't pose or script that.

No comments:

Post a Comment