Sunday, April 26, 2015

From Bonaventure Cemetery

One of the things I was most looking forward to on our trip to Savannah was a visit to Bonaventure Cemetery. I had heard it was famous for its statuary, much like the cemeteries of New Orleans. We put off our visit until the morning of our last day so we would have time to see it all.

First of all it's beautiful cemetery. Live oaks by the score, and Spanish moss in an abundance like I haven't seen in New Orleans since the 1960s. As for the statues, Bonaventure has quite a few, but it doesn't even begin to compare with the cemeteries in New Orleans in this regard. This probably has to do with the overwhelming Roman Catholic influence in New Orleans. In fact, Catholics were originally prohibited in the colony of Georgia, along with lawyers, slavery, and "spirituous liquors". All eventually found their way into the new colony, but Protestantism continued to dominate the local culture. Hence, I think, less statuary in the cemeteries of Savannah than in New Orleans. Still, it is one of the most beautiful and historic cemeteries I've seen, and well worth a visit.

Clinging To The Cross, Savannah, GA  -  2015
(Click on photo to enlarge.)

"Nothing in my hands I bring,
Only to the cross I cling."

No comments:

Post a Comment