Monday, September 8, 2014

Deja Vu All Over Again

While exploring the Photogrammar website, I found the photo below taken by Walker Evans in Charleston, SC in March, 1936. I immediately recognized it as a decorative eagle that I also had photographed on a trip to Charleston in April, 2012.


Gilded Pediment Eagle, Charleston, SC  -  1936, Walker Evans

My version (below) is not as tight a crop as Evans' photo, but the shooting angle is almost exactly the same, meaning we both shot from the same spot, 76 years apart. Well, maybe you're saying, "Big deal", but I thought it was kind of cool that I unknowingly picked the same spot and angle to photograph something that one of my photo heroes chose all those years before. (Click on photos to enlarge.)

Gilded Eagle, Charleston, SC  -  2012

No comments:

Post a Comment