Thursday, August 22, 2013

Those Looks

Truck and Flowers, Black Mountain, NC  -  2013
(Click on photo to enlarge.)

I've written about "those looks" several time before. It's the looks you get when people see you pointing your camera at something, and they can't figure out why. Or they see you with your camera in an unusual position, or in an unusual place, and they can't figure out why. It's the "Has he lost his mind?" kind of look. If you're going to be an avid photographer, you better get used to "those looks".

I found this old truck in a vacant lot in downtown Black Mountain, and being a lover of anything old, especially vehicles, I began to circle it, looking for interesting angles and views with my camera. Almost immediately I saw in my peripheral vision a woman giving me "that look". I turned toward her for a moment and saw the expression of bewilderment on her face. I smiled briefly, and turned back to my truck to continue exploring. Let her wonder.

As I completed my circle of the truck, ending up back closer to the sidewalk and the front end of the truck, I perceived that I was being watched again, this time by an older couple. I didn't look at them this time, but just kept shooting. Then, to my surprise, I heard the man say to his wife, "That's going to be a good picture!" If you keep shooting long enough, occasionally you'll run into someone who gets it.

2 comments:

  1. That is a great picture. I never wonder what others are taking pictures of but I always wonder what people think i might be taking a picture of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Smiles!!!
    Finally finding someone who gets it.
    I love old....the rusty and grungie the better.
    I was just up to Lake Tahoe for a day trip and watched many visitors so engaged with the view that they paid no attention to the garbage cans showing up as Accessories in their photos....and they look at me funny......

    ReplyDelete