Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Weatherman Gets Me Again

I had a long-anticipated trip to DuPont State Forest planned for today. Last night I got my mountain bike aired up, lubricated, and ready for photographer hauling duties. The waterfalls were calling my name!

Then I get up this morning, and the rain chances for the Brevard area had jumped from 60% last night to 90% this morning! Now I'm not one to run and hide when the first raindrop falls while I'm hiking or riding, but 90% made the trip seem like a potential waste of time and gas. Besides, with all this rain, the falls would probably be running muddy, not the best situation for photos. So I guess you could say I chickened out, and went back to bed.

When I got up the second time around 8:00 a.m. it still wasn't raining here, only overcast. The urge to go someplace was strong, so I thought about a shorter trip where I could get back to the truck quickly when the predicted monsoon began. I hadn't been to Black Mountain in a long time, so off I went.

Except for running into a few sprinkles around Asheville, I still haven't seen any rain all day! I should have been a meteorologist. Who else can be wrong so often and still keep their job?

Anyway, Black Mountain has a small, but interesting downtown area. The local chamber of commerce has placed specially decorated rocking chairs around downtown to encourage visitors to slow down, relax, sit a spell, and enjoy Black Mountain. Their new slogan is, "The Little Town That Rocks", and the rockers fit in with that theme. There's supposed to be 60 rocking chairs scattered around the downtown area. I didn't see all 60, but I thought the ones I did see were interesting and colorful enough to share with you here. (Click on photos to enlarge.)

















1 comment:

  1. Pretty impressive variety. I like the one with the birds nest with eggs...I guess people are suppose to hatch them..(:0)
    Glad you could redeem your day.

    ReplyDelete