Friday, January 4, 2013

I'm A Copy Cat

Yancey Theater, Burnsville, NC  -  2012
(Click on photo to enlarge.)


Yeah, sometimes I feed off of the originality and creativity of others. Several years ago I came across the work of Raleigh photographer, Doug Van de Zande. He has produced some stylized B&W photos that use the intaglio method of printmaking, which causes the fibers of the paper to show through. I suppose this look is not to everyone's taste, but I liked it, and began to experiment for a way to reproduce the effect digitally. After much frustration I finally found that using a close-up of one of my wife's pot scrubber pads, overlayed as a texture, produced a very similar look to Van de Zande's prints.

 I haven't done one of these in a while, so I decided to try it on this photo of the Yancey Theater that I made last October. The Yancey has been in operation since 1939, and while thoroughly modern in sight and sound on the inside, retains the look of a 1930s movie house on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment