Monday, October 24, 2016

People Watching

The Crossing, Asheville, NC  -  2016
(Click on photo to enlarge.)

I love to people watch. Last week while I was off from work, I spent an afternoon roaming around downtown Asheville with my camera, people watching. I made this photo sitting on a bench at the corner of Biltmore and Patton, one of the busiest intersections in Asheville. There was a constant flow of people heading in every direction. Each cycle of the traffic light brought a new group crossing the street, each with their own plans and destinations. It's some of the most interesting entertainment available at any price.

My little Lumix camera is perfect for this kind of photography. When I used to shoot street photography with a big, black DSLR with a big, black lens, it was like waving a red flag every time I raised it to my eye. It was almost impossible to remain inconspicuous and get natural looking photos. Now with a little camera, no one pays attention. I'm just some old guy, probably a tourist, taking snapshots with his little "point and shoot" camera. They can remain in their thoughts while I get my photo.

1 comment:

  1. I still love my Lumix too.
    People watching is a favorite pastime of mine.
    Such interesting faces.

    ReplyDelete