Monday, June 6, 2016

What can I say about it?

Portal, Asheville, NC  -  2016
(Click on photo to enlarge.)

Several posts back I mentioned how I had gotten lazy about posting photos to My Viewfinder 2, and instead, just posted them on Facebook. When I post a photo on Facebook, I don't feel like I have to write anything except maybe a short caption or title. On a photo blog, it just doesn't seem like a proper post unless I write something too.

But what to write? I like to think that my photos can stand on their own, without me having to explain what or why. Realistically, I know that's not always true. To make things worse, I don't always know if I am helping by answering those questions. The above photo is an example of that. It is the interior of a small dress shop in downtown Asheville. It was closed on a Sunday afternoon, so I made the photo by pressing my camera against the front window. The mirror in the back of the shop reflected the street scene behind me, but suggested to me a portal into another world. Now, by giving that explanation, have I weakened my photo by not letting the viewer come to his own conclusions? Yeah, that's the struggle I sometimes have with posting my work to a photo blog versus just slapping something up on Facebook.

"Even a fool is thought wise if he remains silent."  -  Solomon

No comments:

Post a Comment